Strong Bad Email
From Homestar Runner Wiki
Strong Bad Email, frequently shortened to sbemail, was originally a small feature in which Strong Bad would answer a fan-sent email and commonly mock the spelling and grammar of those who wrote to him. The animations were initially brief, but gradually the responses grew to establish numerous inside jokes, running gags and catchphrases, as well as spin-offs, such as 20X6, Teen Girl Squad, Hremails, Strong Badia, the minor character Senor Cardgage, Trogdor, and even Homsar, one of the main characters. A typical Strong Bad Email includes numerous Easter eggs and other hidden material, often found at the ending screen. Many Strong Bad Emails, such as japanese cartoon, video games, and theme song, are satirical views of particular aspects of popular culture.
Introduced in 2001, Strong Bad Email has historically been the most frequently updated feature of homestarrunner.com, but was put on hiatus from September 2008 to June 2009. The Brothers Chaps stated in interviews that they wanted to focus on other characters and vary their output. Email 200 just happened to be a round number at which to take a break. In October 2009, Strong Bad Email went on another hiatus, which lasted until April 1, 2015. More than 5 years passed between the release of videography and sbemail206, ending the longest hiatus of between the release of two toon types of 2004 days.
 Strong Bad Emails
(August 2009 — April 2015)
Corpy Remote Work Email - NO PERSONAL EMAILS!
(November 2004 — June 2009)
subject: sb_email menu
(September 2002 — November 2004)
Volume in drive C: has no label
Directory of C:\sbemail\updated somedays
(August 2001 — September 2002)
 DVD Releases
- Emails 1–200 have been released on the strongbad_email.exe 6-disc DVD series. There is also a best of selection, SBEmails' 50 Greatest Hits DVD.
 DVD Emails
The following emails only appear on the DVD set:
- Greeting Cards (Bonus Email #1)
- E-mail Birds (Bonus Email #2)
- Videro Games (Bonus Email #3)
- Family Resemblence (Bonus Email #4)
- Real-Live E-Mails (Bonus Puppet Stuff Email)
- Accent (Bonus Email #5)
- Comic Book Movie (Bonus Email #6)
 Podstar Runner Releases
Beginning January 30, 2006, Strong Bad emails were released under a feature called Podstar Runner. They have featured popular Toons, Teen Girl Squads, and Strong Bad Emails in .m4v format. They are designed to be viewed on a Fifth Generation Apple iPod, but are workable on a variety of other portable media players. These emails are featured or have been featured through this service (in order of release, top left being the earliest, bottom right being the latest):
 Emails Not Checked By Strong Bad
Some emails are checked by someone other than Strong Bad, but count as Strong Bad Emails anyway.
 Not Quite Strong Bad Emails
The following shorts were originally associated in one way or another with the Strong Bad Emails. They are numbered by halves to show where they appeared chronologically in the list above. Numbers 99½B, 118½, 158½ and 199½B are not linked to from anywhere on the site. Also, 205½B isn't on the site at all.
- 205½C. April Fools' 2014 (Strong Bad updates the website's "best feature")
- 205½B. Sbemail 136 Alternate Versions (Original drafts of Sbemail 136)
- 205½A. Doomy Tales Of The Macabre (Strong Sad mentions how Strong Bad checks emails on the Compé.)
- 202½. Compy Catalog (Strong Bad buys a new computer for checking emails.)
- 200½B. April Fool 09 (Strong Bad "sbemailiarizes" the Intro to homestarrunner.com.)
- 200½A. Sbemailiarized! (Strong Bad explains how old toons can be recycled into Strong Bad Emails.)
- 199½B. Page Load Error (Secret URL address for anyone who wanted a peek at Email 200 before it was released.)
- 199½A. Place ya bets! (Its HTML file is "sbemail199andahalf". In it, The Deleteheads try to predict what will be in Strong Bad Email #200.)
- 193½B. The Homestar Runner Gets Something Stuck In His Craw (The reading of the story takes place after what appears to be a Strong Bad Email.)
- 193½A. SBCG4AP Advertisement (This email is an advertisement for a game that was in the making and never actually appeared on the Strong Bad Email page)
- 191½. Rotten Eggs (A message made by the splattered rotten Easter egg reads, "Sbemail Next Week.")
- 171½. DNA Evidence (The toon is about a running gag from six consecutive Strong Bad Emails.)
- 170½. Sbemail 169 Deleted Scene (A deleted scene from sbemail 169)
- 158½. Lappynapped! (Messages on Strong Bad's answering machine, as the Lappy is missing.)
- 152½. Weclome Back (Strong Bad tries to show an email he checked over summer vacation (in midair, no less), but hits "stop" instead of "record" on the video camera.)
- 149½. Sbemail 150?!? (Strong Sad tries to get Strong Bad to do his 150th email.)
- 136½. Sick Day (A failed attempt at an email due to sickness striking the entire cast.)
- 127½. HomestarRunner.com PAY PLUS! ("The Email Show" is one of the pay-per-view features.)
- 118½. Strong Bad Email? (Broken Compy Menu.)
- 99½B. Not the 100th Email!!! (Secret URL address for anyone who wanted a peek at Email 100 before it was released.)
- 99½A. Puppet Time (A message was taped onto Puppet Compy's screen that read "Probably at a barbecue, from SB")
- 84½. Teen Girl Squad Issue 4 (A message was taped onto the Compy on the Strong Bad Email menu that read "made a new teen girl squad")
- 68½B. Lookin at a Thing in a Bag (A message was taped onto the Compy in the email menu that read "Looking at a thing in a bag" when the cartoon was released.)
- 68½A. King of Town Email (The King of Town tries to answer an email on his recently bought (but broken) Tandy 400.)
- 66½. Arcade Game (Homestar Runner reads Strong Bad's note he left on the Compy 386.)
- 59½. Superbowl Dealie (The Paper reads "Due to the big game, the Strong Bad Email will be late this week.")
- 36½. TV Time Toons Menu (Placing the mouse over Strong Bad Email will bring up a short, soundless email from Stu. See Wireless Bizness.)
 Strong Bad Email Menus
- 1–32 Tandy 400 menu
- 33–34 Broken Tandy Menu
- 35–40 Slightly damaged Tandy menu
- 41 Vacation menu
- 42–118 Compy 386 menu
- 119–201 Lappy 486 menu
- 202 Corpy NT6 menu
- 203-Current Compé menu
Whenever Strong Bad reaches an email milestone, such as 100 or 200, the email will be special or at least some note will be taken. Thus far, five emails have been considered milestones.
- 50. 50 emails — Strong Bad checks 50 emails (or attempts to) in honor of it being his 50th email check.
- 100. flashback — The email is done in widescreen. Marzipan, Senor Cardgage, Old Timey Strong Bad, and Limozeen congratulate him on his 100th email. Upon the Compy indicating that he has checked 100 emails with a special screen, Strong Bad says "email" 100 times. Homestar says "Happy 100th birthday, Strong Bad".
- 125. rock opera — features scenes and at least one word from all of Strong Bad's emails.
- 150. alternate universe — Strong Bad goes into many alternate universes featuring alternate versions of himself, which at the end accompany him in a supergroup ballad. Called the "sesquicentennemail".
- 200. email thunder — The email song is a grand fanfare written by They Might Be Giants and sung by The Poopsmith. The email also ends with a screen listing the first 200 emails.
Frequently, a "teaser" toon is released a week before a milestone email in order to play off the anticipation for the upcoming milestone. The teaser toons so far have been Not the 100th Email!!! (teasing viewers hoping to view email 100 before it was released); Sbemail 150?!? (in which Strong Sad tries to convince Strong Bad to check email 150 and writes a proposed storyboard for it); Place ya bets! (in which the Deleteheads speculate on what will happen in email 200); and Page Load Error (in which the Deleteheads camp out at the sbemail200.html URL).
 Fun Facts
- Some time during mid-2003, "updated mondays" on the main Strong Bad Email Menu changed to "updated somedays." Nothing like this is even noted in Lappy, Corpy or Compé-era emails.
- On the Compy 386 menus, Strong Bad types "dir /p", a DOS command used to list all the files in a directory, and to pause between each screen's worth of files.
- Not including Not Quite Strong Bad Emails, Strong Bad has checked 234 emails as of videography.
- As of videography, it would take 10 hours, 9 minutes, 34 seconds to watch every Strong Bad email, including the DVD exclusives but excluding clickable Easter eggs. Including clickable Easter eggs, as of being mean, it would take 10 hours, 35 minutes, and 37 seconds.
- Email #22, "sb_email 22", was actually made between emails 40 and 41. It was originally skipped and later made and released under the title 'the lost email' right before Strong Bad replaced his computer with the Compy 386.
- As of the movies, Strong Bad Emails make up about 60% of the toons on the site.
- Back in the Tandy 400 era (at least until July 2002), emailing Strong Bad would result in this automated response:
Thanks for your freakin email. I hope it's not stupid.
Once I finish these swiss cake rolls I'll read it and if it's awesome enough,
I'll answer it on the site.
But if your email is terrible, then it gets R.E.D. alright.
The Cheat Reads it, Strong Mad Eats it, and I Deletes it.
Click Here to see us in action!
Check back every Monday to see if your email has what it takes.
Watch me while I'm awesome,
The link in the automated response leads to the Email Processing Room.
- After random.bat was implemented, the email list comes from the rando.xml file. Before this, it was included in the Flash file.
- Occasionally, there is a lengthy gap between email updates. This is sometimes recognized at the start of the next email, as in army, geddup noise, redesign, and hremail3184.
- butt IQ, CGNU, 3 Wishes, and what I want are the only emails with capital letters in their titles.
- Typing sbemail.swf in the address bar will take you to the Flash file for the Compy 386 era.
- Holding down the left mouse button and the tab key at the same time caused the area you pressed to go white (only for Lappy-era emails). You can move the mouse in the area without the original spot going away, however if you leave the original area, the spot goes away (you can also create new dots, as long as they are partly overlapping another dot).
- Some emails have different URLs instead of sbemail#.html.
- At Flashforward 2006, The Brothers Chaps gave a list of five things not to email Strong Bad about. Additional information about which emails are selected were given in a later radio interview.
- During most emails, you see the back of Strong Bad's head when he sits in front of the computer, which is why he often starts a new line before the text reaches the right side of the computer's screen. However, on the Strong Bad Email menu, you don't see his head at all. This is probably so the viewers can use the bottom scroll button without anything in the way.
- During Lappynapped!, retirement A, retirement B after when the Lappy was kidnapped, and after hremail3184 when the Lappy is destroyed, it was still used for the Strong Bad Email menu. It is still updated to include the post-Lappy era emails.
- If you clicked the random.bat button on the Lappy after hremail3184 was released, Strong Bad would still say the things during the random email selection even though he wasn't still there.
- The Strong Bad Email menu of the Corpy NT6 lacked a random button; however, Strong Bad sung his lines for selecting a random email and a random email will be selected by using a Flash seekbar.
- The Compé menu lacked a random button from its introduction until August 31, 2009, when a new scroll button song was also released. During this time, right clicking and using the play button would give the random button effect, but the email that was selected would be displayed in the Lappy's font.
- The Compé Email Menu zooms in before Strong Bad finishes double-clicking it.
- The Compé Email Menu's "go rando!" button is clickable, even when zooming in.
- When Strong Bad's head moves, his mask protrudes the top of his head.
 External Links
 See Also
|Strong Bad Email|
Scroll Button Songs | Email Intros | Email Outros | Email Page Titles | Statistics
|Homestar Runner Navigation|
| Main Pages|
Toons Menu | Games Menu | Character Videos | Downloads | Store | Contact Email | Strong Bad Email | Legal | Museum
Quote of the Week | Weekly Fanstuff | Sketchbook | Random Toon
|Most Recent Toons|
| Big Toons
2 Part Episode: Part 2
The Animated Adventures of Puppet Homestar
Record Store Day
| Puppet Stuff
Dangeresque: Puppet Squad
| Powered by The Cheat
Fish Eye Lens
| Strong Bad Email
| Teen Girl Squad
| Marzipan's Answering Machine