Made-up Real Things
From Homestar Runner Wiki
I kinda black out a lot lately and when I wake up sometimes things I made up in my brain come to life. I practically pee my pants every time a Cheat Commandos comes on.
In the continuity of the Homestar Runner universe, it's often unclear if things are made up or really happen. Occasionally, something that is clearly made up during one toon later appears as a real thing in another toon, without any particular reason or cause. While a fair number of these instances have been fruits of Strong Bad's imagination, the other residents of Free Country, USA have periodically created something in their heads that later on mysteriously become real. Whether or not the inventors of these mind-bending, reality-defying creatures and creations had anything to do with them, or if they pre-existed their alleged conception, is never revealed nor explained for the most part, so this bizzare, blurred line between fantasy and reality remains one of the great unexplicable mysteries in the Homestar Runner universe.
- The Goblin and the Gremlin were made up (by Homestar Runner and Bubs respectively) in Homestarloween Party, and became real in Where's The Cheat? Similarly, Strong Bad made up the Visor Robot for the aforementioned Halloween toon, and it became real in Senor Mortgage.
- When Strong Bad listed Limozeen and Taranchula in band names, it was implied that he was making them up on the spot (indeed, that's what The Brothers Chaps were doing), not listing bands that already existed in the Homestar Runner universe.
- Stinkoman from 20X6 was originally made up by Strong Bad to describe himself as a Japanese cartoon. He makes an appearance in Free Country, USA in the Halloween cartoon 3 Times Halloween Funjob. 20X6 was shown to be real in the email time capsule.
- Trogdor was drawn by Strong Bad in the email dragon. He later became the title character of a real video game, TROGDOR!, as seen in Arcade Game. Trogdor became a real creature around the time he appeared outside Strong Bad's window in Trogday 08.
- Sweet Cuppin' Cakes was made up by Strong Bad in response to an email asking him to create a crazy cartoon. Later, Homestar Runner and Strong Bad are seen watching an episode of it on TV. Unlike other instances of this phenomenon, Strong Bad actually notices, and asks "didn't I invent this cartoon?". The Sweet Cuppin' Cakes characters, and Sweet Cuppin' Cakes Land, became real in mini-golf.
- Vector Strong Bad was made up by Strong Bad for the game StrongBadZone, but became real in Marzipan's Answering Machine Version 10.2.
- Senor Cardgage was just a creepy comb-over version of Strong Bad until Senor Mortgage came along.
- The TV Time Toons Menu description for Senor Mortgage read: "Wait, is Senor Cardgage real?!"
- In army, The Cheat dressed up as Firebert, a character he most likely made up. This later started the Cheat Commandos, an actual television show in Free Country, USA.
- Li'l Brudder and Tendafoot were drawn by Strong Bad, but starred in a TV show in The Li'l Brudder Show.
- The Wagon Fulla Pancakes was made up by Strong Bad in the email montage. It later appeared in Senorial Day.
- Da Huuuuuudge and Sterrance were both made up by Strong Bad in animal, but became real in alternate universe.
- When introduced in animal, the Lappy 486 was a he. In dreamail, Strong Bad imagined it as a she, and she's been that way ever since.
- Saddy Dumpington was originally a folk hero that Strong Sad claimed to have made up in A Folky Tale, but Saddy appears as a television show in Toikey TV.
- Strong Bad made up Brainkrieg in death metal to illustrate how not to write lyrics. The band later made three reappearances in Teen Girl Squad-style toons, but in the October 19, 2009 FeedBurner entry, Strong Bad implies that the band is real.
- The SBLOUNSKCHED! bar originally appeared in candy product as Strong Bad's hypothetical candy bar, but Pom Pom later pulls out a bag of Fun-Sized versions of said candy bar in Most in the Graveyard.
- Onion Bubs was first mentioned in original as being a stand-in for the departed Original Bubs, though both Bubs and Marzipan indicate Strong Bad made the whole story up. Nevertheless, Onion Bubs shows up again in Dangeresque 3: The Criminal Projective.
- Blubb-O's was first mentioned in the DVD commentary for Drive-Thru, when Strong Bad tried to guess what restaurant the Drive-Thru Whale has connections with. Its evolution into a real restaurant was briefly mentioned in nightlife later.
- Many characters and places from Videlectrix games were made up, but became real in 8-Bit is Enough; most notably elements from Peasant's Quest and Stinkoman 20X6.
- she likes cloth was a band Strong Bad made up in Teen Girl Squad Issue 12. It became real in email independent, where the band for Pom Pom's indie film, city (comma) state, was called "she likes cloth".