Strong Sad's Lament
From Homestar Runner Wiki
Strong Sad's Lament (or Strong Sad's Litany of Crushed Hopes and Dreams) is Strong Sad's personal weblog. It originated in the email website, in which it could be accessed by clicking on the "F10" image at the bottom of Strong Bad's website.
In his lament, Strong Sad expresses his frustrations with life, complains about Strong Bad's constant practical jokes, and describes his bizarre relationship with Homsar. It debuted on November 17, 2002, and within a week was on a two-and-a-half month hiatus. On February 3, 2003 it started again, and was regularly updated for nearly a month. It then went on a 17 month hiatus until August 5, 2004, when Strong Sad remembered his password and began posting regularly until September 9, 2004. The blog then went on a third hiatus until another post appeared on August 17, 2005. Once again, it appears to be on hiatus, since there has been no update since September 2005. Its current hiatus is acknowledged. (See Fast Forward)
|As of date||Tagline||Quote from|
|Friday, September 9, 2005||Sweetheart, you can't buy the necessities of life with cookies.||Edward Scissorhands.|
|Thursday, September 1, 2005||"The earth swarms with people who are not worth talking to."||Voltaire|
|Thursday, August 25, 2005||"Why am I here?"||Fishing with John.|
|Wednesday, August 17, 2005||"We're just blowing through naptime"||Arrested Development.|
|Thursday, August 26, 2004||"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake."||Fight Club.|
|Thursday, August 19, 2004||"THEY'RE ALL GONNA LAUGH AT YOU!"||Carrie.|
|Thursday, August 12, 2004||"When you grow up, your heart dies."||The Breakfast Club.|
|Saturday, August 7, 2004||"Everybody dies frustrated and sad, and that is beautiful"||Don't Let's Start by They Might Be Giants.|
|Prior to August 7||"Dancin-a with myseh-helf wah wah wah-o."||Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol.|
|Wednesday, December 11, 2002||"Oh Oh, Lonesome Me."||Lonesome Me by Don Gibson.|
|9/09/2005||Richard Moll as Nostradamus "Bull" Shannon from Night Court|
|09/01/2005||"Bubo" the clockwork owl featured in the film Clash of the Titans|
|08/25/2005||Director Jim Jarmusch|
|08/17/2005||Jazz musician Vince Guaraldi|
|09/09/2004||English author Douglas Adams|
|08/26/2004||Nigel Planer as Neil from The Young Ones|
|08/19/2004||Corporal Walter (Radar) O'Reilly from the hit TV series M*A*S*H (originally from the movie of the same name)|
|08/12/2004||Lydia from the cartoon adaptation of the film Beetlejuice|
|Unknown||Max Schreck as Graf "Count" Orlok from the silent movie Nosferatu|
|Unknown||Morpheus, or Dream of the Endless, from the The Sandman series of comics by Neil Gaiman|
|03/13/2003||Irish author Oscar Wilde|
|12/11/2002||Caricature of American writer Edgar Allan Poe|
|Date and Time||Post title||Current mood||Current tunes||Description|
|09.09.05 (1:32am)||Working For the Weak-End?||stereotyped and classified||Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing||Strong Sad tells about a favorite drink of his and counts the pixels on his screen.|
|09.01.05 (8:15am)||Parade on my Rain||stalwart||Bonnie "Prince" Billy - I See A Darkness||Strong Sad shares his thoughts on the rain.|
|08.25.05 (9:55pm)||A Curious Email||the frig?||Neil Young - Trans - Transformer Man||Strong Sad describes a weird email he received, and makes a joke that would work better out loud.|
|08.17.05 (2:19pm)||Stats n' Stumps||still alive||Tom Waits - The Black Rider||Strong Sad wonders how many times Homsar has visited his blog, and describes the wonders of sitting on a tree stump.|
|09.09.04 (6:54am)||Dinner for One||zonked.||Mr. Mom - Original Movie Soundtrack||Strong Sad explains his philosophy on food and how it should be eaten. He also learns gravity is against him.|
|08.26.04 (7:15am)||History Lesson Part II||whimsically whistful||Bowie at the Beeb - Five Years||Strong Sad and Johnny Appleseed have a falling out. Saddy Dumpington takes his washboard elsewhere.|
|08.19.04 (12:01am)||The Curse of Keen Eyes||more humble than usual||my own remix - The writings of Gregor Mendel read over some old Brian Eno stuff||Strong Sad observes others' lives and gets banned from Soiled Bargains.|
|08.12.04 (9:38am)||Dr. Scholls?||brissly||Peter Murphy - Holy Smoke||Strong Sad finally comes out about his elephant feet, er, soolnds.|
|08.05.04 (2:19am)||Long Time||smarmy||Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat||After more than a year, Strong Sad finally remembers the password to his blog: gray_n_grey584.|
|03.13.03 (3:12pm)||Weird Time||torn||Angelo Badalamenti - Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me Soundtrack||Homsar invites Strong Sad to a tree-hugging party.|
|02.28.03 (4:08am)||More Like Writer's Blecchh!||getting frustrated||Godspeed You Black Emperor - I can't tell where one song stops and the next one starts||Strong Sad writes a poem about his cleverness.|
|02.20.03 (10:38am)||Post-it on my face||self pitying||Butch Willis - I'm the Kitty Cat||Strong Bad "helps" Strong Sad express himself.|
|02.14.03 (11:16am)||A Dark, Dark Day||meh||The Promise Ring - Say Goodbye Good||With The Cheat's help, Strong Sad feels lonely on Valentine's.|
|02.05.03 (9:16pm)||A New Year, A New You||rotten inside||Jerry Goldsmith - The Poltergeist Motion Picture Score||Strong Sad considers New Years resolutions. A month late.|
|02.03.03 (1:02pm)||From out of the darkness||sebaceous||Pet Shop Boys - Discography: The Complete Singles Collection||The pressure of a weblog gets to Strong Sad.|
|11.23.02 (1:00pm)||A New Pain||devoid||The Smiths - Meat Is Murder||Strong Sad tries to help Strong Bad whistle, but he ends up getting a pain in the knee called "Kreigh".|
|11.18.02 (1:00pm)||A New Beginning of the End||slight||Matthew Sweet - Altered Beast||Today is Not Strong Sad's Day. Maybe tomorrow.|
|11.17.02 (10:18 pm)||The Beginning of the End||less reticent||Thursday - Concealer||Strong Sad decides to give it a second chance.|
|11.17.02 (10:15 pm)||reticent||Thursday - Understanding in a Car Crash||Strong Sad's first post, in which he gives up on the whole weblog thing.|
 Fun Facts
- The photograph from "A Curious Email" is of a painting inside the Grand Canyon Desert View Watchtower. Fred Kabotie painted images of various Hopi mythological stories and customs inside of the tower.
- The Morpheus icon is animated; he slowly cries tears of blood.
- Here is Strong Sad's user profile:
Name: Strong Sad
AOL IM: depressio111117
Quote: "Each day we die a little more."
Interests: Listening, Books, Listening to books, Calligraphy, Poetry, Safety, Being alone, Arts, Crafts, Arts b/w Crafts
- Every alternate text (for links) is "Header."
- One of the auto-replies sent to people who tried to email Strong Sad through firstname.lastname@example.org includes a link to this blog.
- For a short while on August 12th, 2004, heading to the Index Page would instead bring up Strong Sad's blog. This blocked all access to the site for a short period of time, with the only way to reach the site being to sneak through the 404'd pages.
- In Strong Sad's user profile, click on "none" after "friends" to see what secret fond memories Strong Sad has.
- In archives 1, click on "That guy" to hear a clip of Homsar saying "AaAaAaAaAaAaAaAa! When can we start the Jeffersons?"
- In archives 2, click on "this" to see a short Powered by The Cheat clip of hearts being crushed on a conveyor belt, with the Grim Reaper in the background.
- In current, click on "Post-its" to see an article about the invention of Post-its. (link currently broken, mirror here).
- In current, click on "this" to see Homsar's party invite.
- In current, click on "Saddy Dumpington" to see a picture of Saddy Dumpington.
- Strong Sad's e-vite reads:
- Page title: PARSON BROWN PRESENTS!!
You're invited to an:
I'm Creepin & I'm Creepin & I'm Creepin Party!!
Hosted By: Homsar
Where: Almost There
When: Friday March 14th - from '93 til...
Please come to my mega mix.
Bring Dips. Chips will be provided.
Bonfire. Social Graces. Late Night JengaJam.
4 live bands. 2 on the main stage, 2 on the Nokia SugarPhone SideShow Stage. Live acts TBA**Most (all) of the live acts will be to hug a tree.
- Strong Sad says he can't jump, despite jumping in Experimental Film and boring (really). He also does two jumping jacks in A Jumping Jack Contest, and one jumping jack the year before. He may be implying that he's no good at jumping. This may also be a reference to his "elephant feet", since elephants do not have the ability to jump.
- There was never a "Mr. Mom Original Movie Soundtrack."
- Strong Sad does have Homsar as a friend, despite claiming to have no friends in his profile.
- "History Lesson Part II" employs a large number of Strong Bad mannerisms, such as:
- calling Johnny Appleseed a hippie and a "freakin' weirdo"
- calling Strong Sad "Saddy Dumpington"
- using the squeaky pants sound effect (in reference to the washboard)
- growing tired/annoyed with the original subject and switching to a different subject at the very end
- This strongly suggests that the entry's author was actually Strong Bad, particularly since Strong Sad posted his password a few entries previous. However, in A Folky Tale, Strong Sad claims that Saddy Dumpington is a "legendary folk hero [he] made up". There are several possible solutions to this apparent contradiction:
- Strong Sad actually has some latent Strong Bad mannerisms that he only expresses through writing. It's quite common in the real world for mild-mannered people to adopt a very aggressive and hateful tone in their weblogs.
- As well, Strong Sad may also use similar mannerisms as his brother regularly, as seen at the end of different town where he calls Strong Bad a "spaz" and a "weirdo".
- Strong Sad deliberately wrote the entry using Strong Bad's mannerisms.
- Saddy Dumpington was originally Strong Sad's invention and Strong Bad made fun of it.
- Saddy Dumpington was Strong Bad's invention and Strong Sad liked it so much he claimed it as his own.
- Strong Bad did call Strong Sad "Saddy Dumpington" originally, and Strong Sad decided to use the name (either to write the folk tale, or as a name to use in a tale he already made up).
- The original drawing of Saddy is actually signed SS in the cursive writing only Strong Sad can create, further adding to the mystery.
- In "Post-it on my face", Strong Sad says he wakes up with a Post-it note on his head from Strong Bad. He then says "He thinks he is very awesome and also likes Post-its a lot." This is later proven in Biz Cas Fri 2, in which Strong Bad puts Post-it notes everywhere and claims they could save the company millions.
- If Strong Sad really did count 1310720 pixels and recount them in 6 hours, he'd have counted over 121 pixels a second.
- The first entry was posted at 10:15 am, but Strong Sad says his weblog's "life" lasted from 12:05-12:15. Strong Sad may have entered the wrong time, or the server the blog is on is in a different time zone.
 Strong Sad's Mistakes
- Strong Sad made a typo in the "Post-it on my face" entry. He writes "If I type real quite, maybe he won't come in here," instead of "quiet".
- He also makes a typo in the entry titled "A New Beginning of the End," in which he misspells "unfortunately" as "unforuntately."
- Strong Sad has a third typo in the entry "A New Year, A New You"; he misspells "remembered" as "remebered."
- In History Lesson, Part II, Strong Sad says that Francis Scott Key knew how to party orchestrally. However, Key only wrote the words to "The Star Spangled Banner" as a poem; it was later put to the music of an old English drinking song.
- In A Curious Email, Strong Sad typed "worthwhile" as two words ("worth while").
- In the entry discussing Homsar's party, Strong Sad says that Homsar called the chips "hot wings," but in Homsar's e-vite, he calls them chips (though such behavior may have been a one time thing).
- However, this was what Homsar said at the previous party. There is no direct mention of the details on the recent invitation in the blog, so it's possible that Homsar got it right this time around.
- Lukewarm water is not quite warm, but not quite cool. If one leaves a glass of lukewarm water out too long, the water will become cool, not warm, unless there is an incredible heat wave. It is possible that the room temperature of an area is hotter than the glass (outside during the summer, if the heat is kept turned up), though.
 Inside References
- Strong Sad says "Each day we die a little more" on Who Said What Now?.
- Homsar first said "JengaJam" in Where's The Cheat?
- In different town, Strong Bad wants Strong Sad to bring him back a bust of Bubo from the Clash of the Titans Con.
- Homestar mentions "Night Court starring Richard Moll" in car.
- "Arts b/w Crafts" is another instance of b/w.
- One of the picture is of Nigel Planer, who plays Neil from The Young Ones. Strong Sad dressed up as another character from that show, Vyvyan, portrayed by Adrian Edmondson, in the 2002 Halloween toon, Pumpkin Carve-nival.
 Real-World References
- Gregor Mendel is known as "the father of genetics."
- 3.14 are the first 3 digits of pi and they are mentioned twice.
- Strong Sad remembered his password at 3:14 PM.
- Homsar's e-vite is on March 14, or 3-14. March 14 is also Pi Day.
- The title of the 8/26/04 entry, "History Lesson Part II," is also the title of a song by the Minutemen (from 1984's Double Nickels on the Dime LP).
- In "From out of the darkness", "Rock me like an e-Hurricane" is a reference to the song "Rock You Like a Hurricane," by the band Scorpions.
- "Parson Brown" is a character in the Christmas song "Winter Wonderland" by Felix Bernard and Dick Smith.
- The cellular phone company Nokia was the title sponsor of the Sugar Bowl until 2006.
- "I'm creepin' and I'm creepin'" is a line from Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg's "Nuthin' But a "G" Thang."
- "Pallor if ya hear meh!" is a reference to wrestler Scott Steiner's catchphrase, "Holla if ya hear me."
- "Wet Naps" are a brand of moist towelettes.
- On Homsar's invitation, "from '93 til' ..." is most likely referencing the Souls of Mischief's first album, " '93 'til Infinity."
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor is a band that is known for writing songs that are similar in length to symphonic pieces. Each song is divided into "movements," which would explain why Strong Sad can't tell where they begin and end.
- Strong Sad feeling "stereotyped and classified" is a reference to the song "Suburban Home" by the Descendents, which starts with, "I want to be stereotyped. I want to be classified."
- A George Foreman Grill is an indoor grill promoted by boxing legend George Foreman.
 Fast Forward
- In virus, The Virus causes Strong Sad to have emoticon heads with descriptions. They are not the same emoticons from his blog, however (with the exception of "getting frustrated", which was in the February 28, 2003 blog).
- In A Folky Tale, Saddy Dumpington makes an appearance.
- Saddy also appears in Toikey TV.
- In email thunder, Strong Sad says to not look at his blog, as he hasn't updated in years.
- Strong Bad would list tree hugging (which Homsar invites Strong Sad to do) as #4 in his bottom 10.