The King of Town DVD
From Homestar Runner Wiki
|Toon Category: Big Toon|| |
The King of Town DVD is a DVD-style update of an older King of Town cartoon. It includes commentary by Strong Bad, storyboards and the old version. In the toon, the King of Town sends Homestar and Pom Pom to investigate the whereabouts of his sheep.
Cast (in order of appearance): The King of Town, The King of Town's Sheep, Multi-Function Dragon, Homestar Runner, Pom Pom, The Blacksmith, The Poopsmith, The Little Chef Guy, The Cleric, The Knight, The Hornblower
Places: The King of Town's Castle
|The King of Town DVD|
|New Version | Old Version | Commentary | Storyboards|
 Easter Eggs
- On the main DVD page, click on the mustache on the shield. After it moves aside, click on the brick that was under it to see the King of Town Intro and Main Page that was used for April 1, 2003.
 Fun Facts
- The colors of the King of Town's crown are reversed compared to his crown's color scheme in all of his subsequent appearances.
- This is the shortest Big Toon to date.
- The old version of the toon contains the site's first Easter egg.
- In the commentary, Strong Bad says Homestar never graduated from anything in his life. The position of his tassel, over the right eye, traditionally signifies that a person has not received a degree (yet).
- In the commentary, Strong Bad saying that Homestar probably can't read is incorrect, for Homestar shows his reading and writing skills in several places, including credit card, anything, and email thunder. Homestar's literacy is also tested in Arcade Game, Cool Things and Homestar Ruiner.
- In the Olde version, we actually see the King of Town's mouth under the mustache when he belches.
- The storyboards depict the Poopsmith having a speaking part. Apparently, he was originally going to respond to Homestar's question with a simple "Nope". It also shows the second P in Poopsmith crossed out and replaced with an H, indicating that the Brothers Chaps may have initially renamed him the "Poohsmith", but this name isn't used anywhere else, suggesting the consideration to rename the character "Poohsmith" was abandoned altogether.
- The fact that the King of Town really lives in a run-down two-room building next to the House of the Brothers Strong is directly contradicted by later toons.
 Inside References
- The Hornblower plays the Homestar Runner Theme Song on the horn to call Homestar.
- The King of Town's answering machine is the same type that Marzipan uses in the first eight installments of Marzipan's Answering Machine.
- When the chef comes up you can see blood under the stabbed meat.
- Homestar pokes the King of Town with his pointer.
 Real-World References
- The DVD menu theme is reminiscent of the theme from the King's Quest games.
 DVD Contents
 DVD Menu
- Page Title: The King of Town Special Edition DVD!!
- view "The King of Town Special Edition DVD" menu
- view the Flash file for "The King of Town Special Edition DVD" menu
 New Version
- Page Title: King of Town Storyboards
- view the storyboards
 New Version with Commentary
- Page Title: The King of Town Common Tation
- watch the commentary
- view the Flash file for the commentary
- hear the alternate version of the commentary
 Olde Version
 Everything Else Vol. 2 Version
- On the Olde Version, switch the audio to hear commentary from Matt and Mike Chapman.
- The King of Town's Answering Machine scene from the Commentary has been removed from the commentary and is an Easter Egg on The King of Town DVD menu. Access it by highlighting the New Version option and then clicking left a few times until an outline of the king's mustache and crown appears and then click on it to activate the scene.
- Likewise, the King of Town Intro Easter egg has been relocated from behind the shield to an Easter Egg on the DVD menu. Access it by highlighting the Storyboard option and then clicking right a few times until another outline of the king's mustache and crown appears and then click on it to activate the scene.
- However, it only goes as far as the intro; it does not go into the King of Town Main Page, which has been removed.
- On the main menu, select "back" and then push down until the shield is highlighted, then click on it to see King of Town Email.
- The Storyboard now has commentary from Matt and Mike Chapman.
- When played in "Play All", only the New Version is played.