Talk:Spoken Sound Effects

From Homestar Runner Wiki

Revision as of 22:06, 15 October 2008 by Brightstar Shiner (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search


Okay, so I better hope this one is actually okay compared to the Smoldering one. The only thing missing is a picture of someone actually doing one of these fake sound effects.--Silent 20:13, 25 May 2008 (UTC) Edit: Er. That quickly? Er. I'm really, really sorry for that if it does turns out to be a dupe...

I could go either way on this. This isn't quite within the scope of sound effects but i'm not sure there's enough of a connection between the instances to merit a page. Thoughts? (Either way, it needs cleanup) — Defender1031Talk 20:15, 25 May 2008 (UTC)

I don't think its needed. Ex: Page content doesn't match title in my mind. Expensive for SFX? Nonsense! "Ding" or "Gulp" or even a "Cough" wouldn't be expensive. Expensive should only be used if they can't find, like, a helicopter sound when it's taking off, and they just go "punkity-punkity" in a regular voice. That still wouldn't be very good material for this page. I vote DELETE for this reason. Maybe if we retitle it to: Inanimate Onomatopoeias, or something like that, my vote will change. But until then...DELETE. DevonM(talk·cont-ribs) 20:21, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
Most of your comments are on the current state of hte page rather than what it could be turned into. Give it a chance to be cleaned up and comment on its merits as a potential article, rather than what stands now. — Defender1031Talk 20:25, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
Whatever the name ends up to be, I think this article should stay. If already have enough appearances as it is and subject is unique to TBC's style. Keep. Elcool (talk)(contribs) 21:00, 25 May 2008 (UTC)
The problem, though, is we already have a similar page, namely onomatopoeia, which documents in table form various sound effects vocalized by characters. Probably the best way to handle this would be merge the two articles, since they do cover similar and related topics. wbwolf (t | ed) 20:31, 2 June 2008 (UTC)
I agree. All of the appearances on this page are onomatopoeia, so merging with that article is an appropriate solution. Trey56 15:51, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
I disagree, though not strongly. Onomatopoeia is when you talk about the sound by imitating it - "Preeeow", for instance, is used mainly to describe The Paper's sound effect, not to replace it. This article is for instances where the sound effect is completely fake, being created by one of the characters. I think it's perfectly legitimate to keep this article. --Jay (Talk) 17:53, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
I was thinking on how the best way to integrate the two articles, and I think the best solution is make two sections. The upper part of the onomatopoeia article would be way it is now (Preeow for the The Paper or Dwayne! for transformations). The lower section would be instances when the characters make the sound. As you point out, the uses are rather distinct, but they are still closely related. wbwolf (t | ed) 17:59, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
I completely agree with Wbwolf, but what would the semi-merged page be called? Just Sound Effects? Or maybe Spoken Sound Effects? -Brightstar Shiner 19:25, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
I put "Pronounced Sound Effects" below, but the "Spoken" variety would make a lil' bit more sense. DevonM(talk·cont-ribs) 19:27, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
Vocalized Sound Effects — Defender1031Talk 22:22, 13 June 2008 (UTC)
I say keep for reasons already stated. — Defender1031Talk 01:08, 30 July 2008 (UTC)
I say keep for reasons stated by Jay, and unless someone speaks up within the hour I'm going to remove the template due to a consensus seeming to have been reached. --Mario2.PNG Super Martyo boing! 03:14, 7 August 2008 (UTC)


Assuming this is kept, perhaps a better name would suit it? Heimstern suggested "Vocalized Sound Effects". — Defender1031Talk 20:20, 25 May 2008 (UTC)

I saw part of "Pronounced Sound Effects" on the article itself. How 'bout it? DevonM(talk·cont-ribs) 20:47, 25 May 2008 (UTC)

"Pronounced Sound Effects" sounds good. I was going to suggest something with the word "onomatopoeia" in it because I'm pretty sure that's what it's called when you say sounds like that or something, but I wasn't sure. --Acam30 03:01, 1 June 2008 (UTC) I've now moved it to Spoken Sound Effects, since most people liked this name, but it was never moved. -Brightstar Shiner 22:05, 15 October 2008 (UTC)

Personal tools